Tea's Hope Chest

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Victorian Tear Bottle

LaMarr, gave me a "Tear Bottle"----
such a unique gift~~ I actually added my 1st. tears to it when he gave it to me~
"Tear Bottles Past" The history of the tear bottle is captivating and poignant. Legends of tear bottles or lachrymatories abound
in stories of Egypt and middle eastern societies. Tear bottles were prevalent in ancient Roman times,
when mourners filled small glass vials with tears and placed them in burial tombs as symbols of love and respect.
In the Old Testament of the Bible, the notion of collecting tears in a bottle appears in
Psalm 56:8 when David prays to God, “Thou tellest my wanderings, put thou my tears in Thy bottle; are they not in Thy Book?”
David’s words remind us that God keeps a record of human pain and suffering and always remembers our sorrows

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there ~~Welcome~I hope you find within My Hope Chest a place to relax and enjoy yourself and calm your mind. . Do come talk to me a while, for strangers often make the best listeners. Enjoy, and remember to wander back here often Love and Blessings Tea~~